Director of Structural Engineering
Management Band 5
Salary $100,000 - $125,000 annually
Position available in Kamloops, other locations may be considered.
This position is excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established.
Do you want to be a Strategic Leader in a ministry that's on the move?
Now is the time to apply.
Every minute of every day, the people and businesses in this province rely on the services provided by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
This service to British Columbians is the core mandate of our ministry and depends on decisive, knowledgeable and forward-thinking leaders.
The Structural Engineering group is responsible for managing the structural health of approximately 5000 structures, including over 2900 bridges. The inventory of Ministry bridges is diverse and ranges from single lane structures a few metres in length all the way up to the 10 lane Port Mann and 2600m long Alex Fraser bridges.
As the Director, Structural Engineering, you will be integral to decisions surrounding the engineering, construction supervision and asset management of both new and existing structures across the Province. You will also be responsible for providing strong leadership and strategic visioning within your team and supporting consistency and continuous improvement across all engineering disciplines.
The successful candidate will lead a large, geographically-dispersed group of technicians and professionals responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining our structures province-wide, as well as developing policies and procedures to support the application of Ministry standards and practices. This position is mission-critical to the ministry and requires a unique combination of experience and knowledge.
The ideal candidate can demonstrate strategic level experience in highways management including:
If you are ready for the opportunity to lead the delivery of tangible, meaningful work that affects the lives of many, we think there is no better place to work and encourage you to apply.
- strategic business planning
- issues management
- a record of delivering high quality services
- customer satisfaction
Come be a part of the BC Public Service, a Top 100 Employer that embraces diversity, health and career growth. For more information, please see What We Offer.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Kristen.Reimer@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. If you experience technical difficulties submitting your online profile, or for more information about how to create or update your profile, please refer to the "HOW TO APPLY" section below.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering or Business, or a related field of study, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Extensive recent, related management experience in:
- highways management, including strategic and business planning, issue management, program implementation and management.
- dealing with complex highways management related issues.
- the management and supervision of geographically dispersed multi-disciplinary staff.
- leading operations and a proven record of strategically aligning business operations, directing budgets, human resources, public relations and communications.
- negotiating/mediating solutions.
- establishing and reconciling program and project objectives, priorities and budgets.
- Demonstrated record of delivering high quality services and achieving customer satisfaction.
- Preference may be given to applicants with P. Eng designation.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: YES - A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.
Resume required: YES - Prior to submitting your application for this opportunity, update your resume profile by using the copy and paste function to add your resume. Your resume must provide detailed information about your education and experience including the job related responsibilities and the month(s) and year(s) for your education and for each job in your employment history.